unobserved skill

alec ramsdell a_ramsdell at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 18 08:59:27 PDT 1998

Justin Schwartz wrote:

>All that said, I think yes, the 20G a year wordprocessor who can hang
up her

her? This is true, unfortunately. There is a, uh, "gender-bias" in administrative work.

>work after 8 hrs has more of a life than Wilkes. That doesn't mean
she's
>better off overall. But she may be able to see aned spend time with her
>children or husband,

Maybe, maybe not. If (s)he's not married, making 20k, and working the night shift 8-10 hours, which was my example, I don't think one can say (s)he's got a better life.

and otherwise do things that are not connected with her
>job. Wilkes--by vuirtue ofd his own choice--can't.

A choice which Wilkes can make, because of his education and intellectual capital--his privilege. The word processor doesn't get to choose this kind of life, no? I doubt Wilkes would suffer the indignity of mere word processing. But he could if he chose to. Not so with the WP and law practice.

-Alec