good news?

Enrique Diaz-Alvarez enrique at anise.ee.cornell.edu
Sun Oct 18 10:46:53 PDT 1998

James Devine wrote:

> At 10:28 PM 10/17/98 +0100, James H wrote:
> >Is it a good thing that British and Spanish Imperialism should act as
> >judge of the Dictator that they supported in his heyday?
>
> I think it's wrong to talk about "Spanish Imperialism" as "acting" in any
> way.

Is it ever. In fact, even the current conservative Spanish government has nothing to do with Pinochet's arrest. The whole thing is the result of a single judge's initiative, Baltasar Garzsn. He is a very well known judge, with moderate leftist leanings. At first, the Pinochet initiative was dismissed by most (including, sad to say, myself) as a publicity stunt. I guess he showed us.

Two further points. First, the entire Spanish political spectrum supports Garzsn enthusiastically, including the right wing ABC. Second, similar warrants have been issued against the most prominent members of the Argentina juntas.

Enrique