Hi Prices & Flak for El Profesor

K d-m-c at worldnet.att.net
Sun Oct 18 11:10:29 PDT 1998

>No, it is not possible. Not anywhere in the
South.

Why on earth not. I can get cheap oranges in the Northeast. Why not cheese in the South. This must be some sort of perverse cabal against the Yankee North. Think about it: isn't cheese much, much easier to preserve for a lengthy time since, afterall, good cheese is *aged*

Since I've been here, too, I've heard some anti-Italian rumblings in terms of food, especially, Do Southerners have something against Italians and/or Italian foods. Obviously, it can't be that bad if Frances recommends a place called Giancano's. But really, you can't get good New York city style Italian pizza around here either. I read about a place in the alternative entertainment rag, the Weekly Planet. But when we tried it, while it was nearly as good, it was served in a joint with table service, linens, and fresh flowers on the table. Honestly, it just ruined a good NYC style Italian pizza which must, absolutely must, be served in a place that is far from clean and filled with lots of noise and people shouting in a language other than English because lord knows you don't have to be Italian to make good NYC style Italian pizza.

Snit, done ranting--maybe

It has been
>almost 20 years since I moved from Wisconsin and
I still can't get
>over what people call cheese in the South. The
only way to get decent
>cheese is at a supermarket in an affluent area or
a Whole Fodds type
>place place. Either way it is a ripoff.
>
>And don't even get me started about crap they
sell in the "deli"
>section which purports to be German potato salad.
>
>> But, I about died when I saw that I could
>> buy a mango for 50 cents instead of 3 bucks.
>
>Or fresh seafood cheap.
>

>> In any event, I
>> haven't really noticed a big shift in prices up
or down, though I do
>> think, again, that meat prices have shot down
quite a bit. That
>> *may* be an artefact of living in Florida, but
I think I read or
>> heard that meat prices are lower.
>
>There was a severe drought in Texas this summer.
It killed over 90%
>of the cotton crop and there was nothing to graze
cattle on so they
>were sent to market early and that drove beef
prices down.