GrrRl & Politically Purchasing Power

Mike Yates mikey+ at pitt.edu
Sat Oct 3 21:58:30 PDT 1998

Friends,

I don't care to respond in detail to the rather rambling message below. There are plenty of cheap beers and wines not made by Gallo or Coors. And yes I am well aware that most products are produced under shitty conditions. This really misses the point. We supported the South Africa boycotts to achieve particular ends. We know coors and Gallo are swine, just as we knew the racists in So. africa were swine. So we acted accordingly. Pretty simple really.

As for the spice girls, listen to them or any group you want. Who cares? But I wouldn't waste much time trying to ferret out any radical implications of them or their music.

BTW, Ive fought for faculty unions and for the end of exploitation of adjuncts and part-timers from the time I was an untenured instructor. And I worked for the Farmworkers Union so I saw Gallo firsthand.