tax burdens

John K. Taber jktaber at onramp.net
Mon Oct 19 18:48:33 PDT 1998

Max Sawicky wrote:

> > (On this question, it is my more than humble opinion that in the long run,
> > the corporate income tax is shifted to consumers and/or workers. The
>
> You could be right, though there isn't much evidence
> of it. I don't know that anybody has tried hard to
> find any evidence. Musgrave was the great exception,
> believing it to be borne by consumers.

I would love to hear more on this theme. In various and sundry reading on Social Security I often came across the statement that "most economists believe that the employer's part of FICA is paid by the worker." (Steuerle and Bakija(sp?) for example). But you can substitute the tax of your choice, like "most economists believe that property taxes are paid by the renters." And so on.

It is that assertion without argument or reference that arouses my suspicion.

So, have at it guys. This is something I would really like to get straight. I suspect the assertion is bullshit, or there would be at least a footnote, but I don't know.

-- I've been able to string more words into fewer ideas than anybody I know, and I'm continuing to do that.

- Alan Greenspan to the Senate Budget Committee, Sept 23, 1998