Cultural criticism vs. Collective Politics

W. Kiernan WKiernan at concentric.net
Mon Oct 19 16:15:09 PDT 1998

Carrol Cox wrote:

> Nathan Newman wrote:
>
> > It is the height of individualism to say, because I can't personally
> > evaluate each and every act of exploitation, I can't worry about
> > purchasing decisions. Boycotts are specifically not about
> > individual evaluation but about collective political action.
>
> Nathan, in the passage quoted below, has said all that needs to be
> (or ought to be) said about politics and purchasing decisions. When
> there is a well organized boycott of a specific product for a
> specific reason, it should be honored. When no such formal organizing
> is underway, it is mere priggishness to base purchasing decisions on
> allegedly "political" grounds. Personal decisions not linked to a
> collective action are are *at best* merely a-political.

Hello Carrol!

As soon as I found out that Adolph Coors was bankrolling the far right, I immediately quit drinking his beer. That was at least fifteen years back, and until just now I didn't know that anyone else was formally boycotting Coors. I would have refused to buy any Gallo products if I had known before today they were union-busters, boycott or not. I don't buy stuff from Blockbuster and I refuse to eat at Outback Steakhouses or Dominos Pizza because their owners are all big financial supporters of the right-wing; but as far as I know no one else is boycotting them.

I just do it because I'll be damned if I'll contribute to the profits of guys whose politics I loathe so much; after all, there are plenty of other places to buy pizzas and music CDs.

Now you're telling me that I'm wrong. Why am I wrong? Would you prefer that I swell these right-wing millionaires's bank accounts with the profits from my purchases, small as those profits may be, so they can turn around and contribute even more cash to the Republicans? I don't get it; please explain what you mean by this.

Yours WDK - WKiernan at concentric.net

** As he points to the poor red thing mewling behind plate-glass, ** ** He says with professional, observant disbelief: ** ** "You mean you think that's full of Original Sin?" ** ** - Randall Jarrell **