tax burdens

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Tue Oct 20 06:57:17 PDT 1998

>I would love to hear more on this theme. In various and sundry reading on
Social Security I often came across the statement that "most economists believe that the employer's part of FICA is paid by the worker." (Steuerle and Bakija(sp?) for example). But you can substitute the tax of your choice, like "most economists believe that property taxes are paid by the renters." And so on.>

Like Jimmy Carter said, I'd never lie to you.

You want to read literature reviews? Check the Journal of Economic Literature. Or look at some textbooks in public finance, though here you have to be careful to determine whether you've found something written by one of James Buchanan's students. [He's an ultra-conservative nobel laureate.]

BTW, I said the left thinks the property tax is paid by renters. The mainstream economists' view is that it is borne partly by capital, and partly by renters (the latter in jurisdictions with above-average tax rates). I lean to the mainstream view, just another reason for my political friends to regard me suspiciously.

MBS