gay-bashing and class

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Oct 20 08:03:58 PDT 1998

William S. Lear wrote:

>Doug, do you really think this is a "class not identity" argument? I
>see it as something that might be written by someone who wanted to
>underline the *contribution* to heterosexist hatred from
>impoverishment and inequality.

Sorry, been away for most of the last 24 hours, and I'm catching up.

What disturbs me about the story is right in the lead (or lede, as insiders say):

>LARAMIE, Wyo. -- Matthew Shepard went to high school in Switzerland. He
>spoke three languages and had traveled the world. He was raised in a family
>made comfortable by his father's job in a multinational oil company. At the
>University of Wyoming, he was studying political science.

I'm all for exploring the relations between class and homophobia, but this is just too congruent with the bigots' argument that same-sexers are a privileged decadent stratum, a point of view shared by the Christian right and certain purist "Marxist" sects like Avakian's RCP.

Doug