GirrRl and Politically Purchaseing Power

jf noonan jfn1 at msc.com
Tue Oct 20 08:44:28 PDT 1998

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, pms wrote:

> Is it possible that adjuncts(whatever they are)

Adjuncts are non-tenured, non-permanent, non-supported teaching staff at universities. They are a notch up the totem pole from TA's, but not much. I think they exist purely to save the Uni money, they are not, in general, expected to advance. In the old days, (15 years ago when I was in college), adjuncts were typically people who had full time jobs elsewhere and taught part time for extra dough or because they liked to teach. Nowadays, they are doing the bulk of classroom instruction (that the grad students don't do) so that the Uni can save money. It's the same reason industry uses permanent "temps". Check out Carey Nelson's work on this topic.

> and medical residents, and

With medical residents, you're spot on. It's good old fashioned macho "trial by fire" type training. "That which does not kill me makes me stronger" etc. Plus, the house staff saves the attendings from actually having to see patients very often.

> young corporate types,etc, are made to suffer crueling schedules, at low
> saleries, just so they will become arrogant elitists. Or is it some
> penocentric, no pain, no gain thing?

Yup.

Joseph Noonan jfn1 at msc.com