ISO 9000 question

Tom Lehman uswa12 at lorainccc.edu
Tue Oct 20 11:55:13 PDT 1998

Dear Tom,

A couple of years ago I represented my local union, in our effort to get ISO9000 and QSO 9000 certification. QSO 9000 is the steel industry automotive related standard. We were successful in getting both certifications.

I met regularly with about 25 of the companies top level managers. For starters I told management that the unions position was that ISO-QSO was a technical & scientific program and that there would be no editorializing on the part of management which would take away from the technical & scientific nature of the program. We have had problems in the past with management trying to use programs like SPC for their editorial advantage. So I made it clear right from the start that this would be our position on the ISO-QSO program, no editorializing.

The nice thing about ISO-QSO is that it requires a very high degree of process documentation and it forces the company to open up all areas to scrutiny. I got insights into areas of the business that normally would not have been talked about. I took detailed notes and briefed the officers of our local union.

Now in non-union companies the only advantage to the workers might be in the fact the company has to record such processes as housekeeping, and, the inspectors/auditors do grade on such subjects.

Sincerely, Tom L.