capitalism's infinite ability to assimilate "radical" critiques

W. Kiernan Wkiernan at concentric.net
Wed Oct 21 08:33:49 PDT 1998

James Farmelant wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Oct 1998 18:42:28 -0400 Greg Nowell
> <GN842 at CNSVAX.Albany.Edu> writes:
> >
> > 1. Kurt Weil's "Mac the Knife" as muzak.
> >
> > 2. Joni Mitchell's song about trees and parking lots
> > playing on a supermarket tape in the middle of a vast
> > suburban parking lot where there used to be trees.
>
> The same fate has also befallen John Lennon's song "Imagine"
> which after all envisions a world without religions, nation-states,
> and private property. On the other hand his song "Working class
> Hero" has to the best of my knowledge remained immune to this
> process.

Clearly it's that word "fuck" that ensures "Working Class Hero" won't ever make the Muzak system at the grocery. "Fuck," what a wonderful word.

On the other hand, how could you not laugh hearing "Imagine" in a bank lobby, on the ground floor of that bank's 36-story office building? (This happened in the Barnett building in downtown St. Petersburg, Florida. Incidentally, Barnett Bank is no more; it was recently assimilated by NationsBank.) To complete the pleasure, you look out a two-story tinted glass window on a courtyard to see our "sacred" U.S. flag fluttering in the breeze.

Yours WDK - WKiernan at concentric.net

** Was it a millionaire who said, "Imagine no possessions?" ** ** - Elvis Costello **