Who or what is The Guardian?

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Wed Oct 21 20:51:27 PDT 1998

<< Somebody posted a screed on social security from a British source,

called Guardian Media Group plc.1998. The screed does not sound like

something from the Manchester Guardian (unless it has changed hands

or something). >>

I don't know the Guardian Media Group, but I've been reading the Manchester Guardian for eighteen years, and I'd like to report that it's astoundingly left wing (i.e., objective and progressive) for a mainstream paper. When I first arrived in England to go to grad school many long years ago, there was a Guardian headline over a story announcing that Carter had entertained Pinochet, Videla, and other pals at the White House. "US Welcomes Vicious 'Friends'," it read. You could have knocked me over with a feather. The Guardian has kept up that caliber of news ever since. For business news, though, I read The Economist.

--jks

--jks