Monopoly Bookstore Chains and the inanity of moralism

Carrol Cox cbcox at mail.ilstu.edu
Thu Oct 22 16:32:16 PDT 1998

K wrote: "Nathan ponders his childhood ....jesus christ on crutches! Borders is a union buster fer cryin' out loud Borders is a union buster!"

This is an inanity, in fact a very vicious one, that those of us who suggested only *organized* boycotts need be honored, that personal boycotts were at best non-political, a mere private fancy. Now we see that such private fancies, raised to the level of (naturally super-moralistic) principle are anti-political, sources of disunity and the destruction of solidarity, for they lead to such fucking idiocies as K's personal attack on Nathan.

*Every* corporation is a union busting company. K reminds me of those anarchist *idiotes* (private persons) of the 60s who wanted to live "outside" capitalism on some communal farm in the hills of Arkansas.

Carrol