gay-bashing

pms laflame at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 22 17:39:13 PDT 1998

>I'm all for exploring the relations between class and homophobia, but this
>is just too congruent with the bigots' argument that same-sexers are a
>privileged decadent stratum, a point of view shared by the Christian right
>and certain purist "Marxist" sects like Avakian's RCP.
>
>Doug
>

>Since
>when did AP start concerning themselves with classist debate? When was the
>last time they, or any of the major new sources, cast the two sides of a
>crime in a classist light? Why have they started now? What do they have to
>gain from this? I think part of the answer can be found in Doug's post:
>
>>But there is another, to my mind more chilling, possible interpretation:
>That lower/working-class people are all redneck, fag-hating thugs.

Hi Ya'll,

When I read this intro it reminded me of the way they describe affluent, or just "respectable" victims, of any sexual preference. Including the whole thing where the victims relatives take the stand and talk about what a promisei;ng life they had. It always makes me uncomfortable, as though it's alright to kill someone as long as no one who counts really admires them. How many poor kids, white or black, get killed with little remark.

I feel there is a class element to the killing, and I would feel the same way if the killers were wealthy.

My two cents from Marks list-

Doug-I get your point, and agree with it. But I also think there is class struggle involved, subtley, sometimes.

Racism, sexism, and homophobia are the decoys used in the war against the working class. They become the evil "other", instead of the Big Cigars. Makes people with no power feel like they are compadres with the Big Cigars.

I keep thinking about Kate Millets description of the male rabble to whom the women had to be sacrificed when the Iranian revolution got ugly. I think the book was called "Going To Iran". The degradation of the women who had been largely responsible for the overthrow of the Shah, the professional women, had to lose all to satisfy the unemployed and ignorant males. Their share of the plunder I guess.

Then there's the class struggle within the family, and flowing from it. The whole "School of the better-than-thou" that has to do with domination and patriarchy. Even a rich kid can be a 4th class citizen within the family context and this requires, sometimes, that the degradation be passed on, and fed.

Of course I don't even know if Doug denied there was a class element involved, I sort of doubt it. I was just flying by and wanted to put in my 2cents worth.

Hi folks, I'm a visitor from the lbo list where I ran into some of you comrades.

I think there are class struggles within families and the wounded can get pretty mean. And pretty vulnerable to manipulation, too.

EXPOSE CORPORATE SUBVERSION AND POLITICAL PUPPETS!

nighty-nite Paula