Lafontaine rules?

John K. Taber jktaber at onramp.net
Thu Oct 22 18:42:02 PDT 1998

Johannes Schneider wrote: [snip]

> By being removed from the post his former post and becoming minister of
> defense Scharping lost his last independent power base. This was the
> ultimate goal of Schroeder and Lafonataine
> >To me, it looks like the beginnings of a power struggle for
> >supremacy in the SPD.
> For the reasons above, I dont think so. The block Lafontaine-Schroeder looks
> quite solid. But this could change as soon as recession hits Germany. At the
> moment the new government as annouced some tax changes that will result in
> moderate cuts for the majority of the working class.

I certainly was confused, but I think it's understandable. Maybe this should be entitled the SPD vs the FT.

I checked back in the Financial Times. On Oct 13, Peter Norman definitely represented the non-appointment of Muenterfering as a defeat for Lafontaine.

Norman said:

Mr Lafontaine, whose control over the SPD had appeared total,

also lost authority. He was the force behind the drive to

substitute Mr Müntefering for Mr Scharping.

On Oct 20, the FT continues to oppose the SPD. Ralph Atkins in an article about Stollman quitting, says:

It is the second time in eight days that Mr Schröder's preparations

for government have been upset by Mr Lafontaine. Last week the

chancellor-designate rejected a bid by Mr Lafontaine to insert

his own candidate for the powerful position of head of the SPD's

parliamentary party.

Well, well well. I wonder who will win, the FT or the SPD?

-- I've been able to string more words into fewer ideas than anybody I know, and I'm continuing to do that.

- Alan Greenspan to the Senate Budget Committee, Sept 23, 1998