Monopoly Bookstore Chains/Positivism/Social Engineering

Thu Oct 22 19:52:01 PDT 1998

To connect threads on bookstores and positivism/social engineering, I saw in Barnes and Nobles for $45 from Harvard Alain Desrosieres' Politics of Large Numbers (AD is a student of Pierre Bourdieu's). I learned of his critique of statistical methodology from Peter Wagner's provocative and sophisticated A Sociology of Modernity: Liberty and Discipline and then looked up the article by AD cited and anthologized by Wagner (Peter Wagner, ed. Discourses on Society: The Shaping of the Social Science Disciplines) . I don't have the article with me.

I am pretty sure that this book (trans from the French) will be one of the most important critiques of social science methodology I will have read. Can't wait till it gets in the library. I expect this to be an intellectual event in the social sciences.

best, rakesh