Monopoly Bookstore Chains and Left Wing Magazines.

Shelvers at aol.com Shelvers at aol.com
Thu Oct 22 21:16:02 PDT 1998

Sorry, I've been out of the loop for a while (including 25 hours of Guiliani- time after Monday night's anti-gay police riot.)

After reading the postings about Borders and left-wing mags, I remembered how during our union drive there, when The Progressive ran a story about us, amazingly our copies of that issue turned up missing, and not just in our shop, but many others, and some B&N's around the city.

I'm very torn by this thread. I know that it's difficult to find many titles at any bookstore other than Borders (like, say, at Borders' sub-chain Waldenbooks). However, I remember (and still feel) my outrage when during our union drive the American Social History Project continued to place corporate orders through our store because they got a discount from Borders and it was "too hard" to get them elsewhere.

Jason Chappell ISO - Brooklyn Branch