Monopoly Bookstore Chains and the inanity of moralism

W. Kiernan Wkiernan at concentric.net
Fri Oct 23 06:29:56 PDT 1998

Doug Henwood wrote:

> ...Some of the active workers were on this list, but their mailboxes
> all backed up; they've got a website at
>
> http://members.xoom.com/booksort/index.htm
>
> Yahoo has a whole subhead devoted to "Business and Economy: Companies:
> Books: Booksellers: Borders Books & Music: Union Activity", at
>
> http://dir.yahoo.com/Business_and_Economy/Companies/Books/Booksellers/Borders_Books___Music/Union_Activity/

Thanks a lot, Doug, this is excellent. I will print up a bunch of copies and hand them out at work. Plus also it is very funny, I mean that "UNION AWARENESS TRAINING FOR BORDERS MANAGERS" memo, I laughed my ass off. Now I will go to work today in a jolly mood, thanks to you.

I can't believe the inanity of that memo. Just one item: they suggest that managers should call the cops to forcibly eject IWW picketers, right before the eyes of the potential union members on the store staff. Duh! You don't get happy, productive employees by spitting in their eyes. Nor do you convince employees that their best interests are served by not joining a union when you practically piss yourself with fear and call out the cops whenever a couple of little pamphleteers show up either. Any employee with enough brains not to be fired for cause will certainly realize that if you're so afraid of union power, then maybe that union power might be a fine thing for him to possess.

Now if I were an anti-union Borders manager and some IWW guys showed up with pamphlets, I'd put a couple of chairs out on the sidewalk for them and give them free coffee. Rather than putting on the black hat and calling out the polizei, I'd put on a white hat and make a big fuss out of "respecting their First Amendment rights" or some business like that. (And I bet I'd get reprimanded, if not fired outright, by dumbass upper management if I did.)

Yours WDK - WKiernan at concentric.net

...ps: that "black hat / white hat" thing refers to cowboy movies - i.e. show, pretense, appearances - and not in the least to race.