Home Owmership This High

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Fri Oct 23 12:32:54 PDT 1998

. . . I'd love to see some numbers by geographical area on rents and property taxes. I know they exist and they will differ by region. My hunch is that landlords, even the kindest, are in it for the money. As I pointed out to Max my knowledge of landlords big and small is that they will be motivated by greed not need. They may cut a special deal for a good tenat, but, thats about it.

[Max B. Sawicky] I generally don't do rents. Property tax data can be found in the City and County Databook, which would be in a decent library and can be purchased from GPO. The CD-ROM costs $150. I have some older ones. Next week I might be able to cook something up for you.

. . . One thing you guys may want to consider is suburban sprawl. How will these people who have gotten into these 5 acre mini-estates fare in an economic downturn. Many of these people are of limited economic means and income potential. I have read this is a national trend; people moving out of the county that the city is located in and into an adjoining county. Either motivated by white flight, lower taxes or both.

[Max B. Sawicky] They'll have 'upside-down' mortgages, like a lot of folks in California. If they are of limited means, this is less likely since they wouldn't own much to begin with, certainly not 5 acre estates.