GrrRl & Politically Purchasing Power

J Cullen reporter at eden.com
Fri Oct 23 18:05:05 PDT 1998

I'm a few days late after letting the posts pile up, but here's some input on Lucinda Williams ...

Her father is a poet, Miller Williams, who teaches, used to be at LSU, don't know where he is now. Lucinda was born in Lake Charles, La., but spent time in Mississippi, Arkansas, Georga, Santiago, Chile, and Mexico City as her father moved around the academic circuit. Her godfather is George Haley, brother of Alex Haley. She spent the last 20 years in and out of Austin, where she played for spare change on the drag in the '70s, New Orleans, Nashville and LA. She is a perfectionist, which is why her current album took several years and several generations of producers and sidemen to complete. In short, I don't think she ever picked cotton, but she's got a good eye and ear.

-- Jim Cullen

---------------------------------------- THE PROGRESSIVE POPULIST James M. Cullen, Editor P.O. Box 150517, Austin, Texas 78715-0517 Phone: 512-447-0455 Internet: populist at usa.net Home page: http://www.eden.com/~reporter ----------------------------------------