Noam Chomsky

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Sat Oct 24 19:16:47 PDT 1998

Chomsky's position on this matter has been clear to fair-minded observers from the beginning: as he has said, he thought the matter had been decided in the Enlightenment -- "I disapprove of what you say but will defend to the death your right to say it." The difficulty seems to come from people who hate Chomsky for his exposure of the lies and crimes of Israel. Unwilling or unable to attack him directly, they pretend that his anarchist defense of free speech (and condemnation of the law under which Faurisson was prosecuted for "falsifying history") necessarily puts him in the camp of holocaust deniers, where he manifestly doesn't belong. (See Christopher Hitchens, "The Chorus and Cassandra" <wwwdsp.ucd.ie/~daragh/reviews/r_cassandra.html>.)

Some people seem to believe that the Nazi persecution of Jews justifies oppression and exploitation by Israel (v. Norman Finkelstein's recent article on the Goldhagen book) -- and therefore somehow those like Chomsky who dare to condemn the latter must not believe in the former. Is it simply an error in logic or a corrupt psychological equation?

--C. G. Estabrook