Going public

William S. Lear rael at zopyra.com
Sat Oct 24 22:20:52 PDT 1998

On Sat, October 24, 1998 at 19:15:24 (-0400) Louis Proyect writes:
>Your point about the others is well taken. While I was working to counter the
>influence of Nazi Holocaust deniers in Mississippi schools, Noam Chomsky came
>to their defense. French Nazi professor Robert Faurisson published a letter
>from Chomsky in an early issue of the Journal for Historical Review. In the
>letter, Chomsky not only supported Faurisson's right to speak, write, and
>teach, but also lent political and legal advice to his defense. I wrote to
>Chomsky asking how he could have done such a thing. His long angry reply noted
>that he had defended Henry Kissinger's right to teach also, but danced around
>the only significant point of his political solidarity with a Nazi.
>I note that one writer has posted the standard, false, apologetic for Chomsky
>intend a response.
>
>Ken Lawrence

If Lawrence has information that Chomsky really has "political solidarity with a Nazi", he should be courageous enough to share it. This is an ugly slander that has been refuted before, most eloquently by Christopher Hitchens (http://www.worldmedia.com/archive/other/85-hitchens.html). I'm amazed that it would surface here.

Chomsky has no more "political solidarity" with Faurisson than he has with Rush Limbaugh.

This is cheap, cowardly, and disgusting.

Bill