Noam Chomsky

Apsken at aol.com Apsken at aol.com
Sun Oct 25 11:22:34 PST 1998

C. G. Estabrook wrote,

"Some people seem to believe that the Nazi persecution of Jews justifies oppression and exploitation by Israel (v. Norman Finkelstein's recent article on the Goldhagen book) -- and therefore somehow those like Chomsky who dare to condemn the latter must not believe in the former. Is it simply an error in logic or a corrupt sychological equation?"

How is that a reply to me? I have always been a public supporter of Palestinian rights, which earned me condemnation by Irwin Suall of the ADL as a "self-hating Jew."

That Chomsky has done exemplary work in that field cannot justify lending POLITICAL, not civil-libertarian, support to Nazis who deny the Holocaust.

To Maria Gilmore I answer: I certainly do acknowledge and honor Noam Chomsky's contributions to the struggle for human freedom. However, this thread began, for better or for worse, as a discussion of our heroes' clay feet, in a private e-mail that was posted to the list contrary to my stated request.

Ken Lawrence