Leftist Ravings?

Michael Cohen mike at cns.bu.edu
Sun Oct 25 18:03:41 PST 1998

> Chris Burford, can
> >kiss my ass. You belong in the same bowge of hell as Bradford deLong, only
> >lower down because he at least is an open apologist of capital and not a
> >goddamn insufferable hypocrite and an *intrigan* as the Rusian has it, like
> >you are.

I have a question about this style of abusive discourse which I personally abhor. Whats its social origins? Is this part of the on my view regrettable heritage of leftist sectarian politics.? What is its motivation? Is the point to abuse Chris so much that he doesn't express his viewpoints further?

We including myself all the time are capable of great stupidity, I thought the point of this list was to learn something. Would you prefer to have "intregans" and "goddamn insufferable hypocrites shot, as Stalin did?" Is this a poor substitute? Do you think this crap convinces anybody? If this how you would treat dissidents or people you disagree with do you think you sect is going to attract a mass following.? In the event that Armageddon is here as you believe, do you really think you will be the only game in town in the event of a social revolution.?

I find such displays of inappropriate aggression in exceedingly poor taste and self-indulgent, akin to public defecation If you think Chris's position is so odious and vile take the trouble to refute it a clearly reasoned and logical manner like Chomsky would do with Henry Kissinger. Mark, I think you are too intelligent and decent human being to spend your time behaving like a guttersnipe. While this could conceivably be justifiable and appropriate tactics for Lenin, I think in this world historical situation at this time it is totally inappropriate and counterproductive. As Karl Marx once said, "things always happen twice in history, first as tragedy and then as farce". I always though Marx was right on this score although the as Max would say Marx perhaps has gotten the numbers wrong.

--mike -- Michael Cohen mike at cns.bu.edu Work: 677 Beacon, Street, Rm313 Boston, Mass 02115 Home: 25 Stearns Rd, #3 Brookline, Mass 02146 Tel-Work: 617-353-9484 Tel-Home:617-734-8828 Tel-FAX:617-353-7755