Cockburn to Indians: get over it!

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Oct 26 05:11:14 PST 1998

K:

>Uuuummm. Isn't this a problem to anyone on this list? Sure
>Cockburn's is ahhh uuhh...well a dork for the last line in this
>essay. But, isn't he right in some sense to point out that this
>kind of moral entrepreuneurialism doesn't get anyone very far:
>You must agree that this was genocide on the same order as the
>Halocaust and if you don't then you're a denier (=neoNazi).

Yes, that would be true if Churchill was aspiring to be a Cherokee version of Elie Wiesel, but the problem is that Cockburn's version of the book is a lie. The purpose of "A Little Matter of Genocide" is not to elevate the Indian morally, but to debunk American "civilization". Arthur Schlesinger Jr., Rush Limbaugh, Ronald Reagan and countless others like to see American history as morally elevated. In fact, it is the worst reign of terror in modern history.

> Churchill's
>story simply demonizes. Native Americans=Good and anyone
>else=Evil. This is surely a path to hell.

Have you read his book? Or are you basing your assertions on Cockburn's addled column?

> Isn't Cockburn drawing on that
>discussion and that approach to historical analysis?

No, Cockburn is answering a Cherokee version of Elie Wiesel that exists in his imagination and not in the pages of the real book that Churchill wrote.

> Anger and despair may well accompany the
>knowledge of how things really work, but it is also accompanied
>with a sense of what might be possible based on stories of what
>has been achieved. Without that, any struggle is doomed.

Blah-blah-blah. Spend more time reading indigenous indigenist literature and less time surmising what it says. You might start with my webpage. Look under the heading "Marxism and American Indian".

Louis Proyect