The political devolution of Alexander Cockburn

William S. Lear rael at zopyra.com
Tue Oct 27 07:21:49 PST 1998

On Tue, October 27, 1998 at 03:38:16 (EST) boddhisatva writes:
> The "fact" (really an estimate) that there were fifteen million
>indigenous people before Columbus compared with the numbers reported in
>1890 does not, on its own, indicate genocide on a massive. Obviously there
>was both war and genocide against native people, but it is entirely likely
>that disease was the main cause of native deaths. Influenza epidemics
>regularly killed ten percent of stricken populations, smallpox was in the
>thirty percent range, plague as high as forty percent. Add to that the
>"childhood" diseases and a population could easily be reduced to ten or
>twenty percent of its original size and very quickly.

As Russell Thornton notes in *American Indian Holocaust and Survival: A Population Survey Since 1492* (University of Oklahoma Press, 1987), it was disease that killed most of the native populations. However, to blithely poke this into the "non-genocide" compartment is not quite so easy. I've said this before: if you put people into slave labor camps, destroy their means of subsistence, wage racist war upon them, and they just happen to die of diseases you introduced (sometimes purposefully), you are not off the hook for having killed them. Jews who died in Auschwitz from disease and illness were just as much victims of genocide as those who were gassed and carted into the ovens.

Bill