Friedman gets pied

James Baird jlbaird3 at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 27 18:15:56 PST 1998

Milton Friedman Gets Pied

by Anonymous, forwarded to ETS! via e-mail

Economist Milton Friedman was pied in the face on Friday night at a conference he organized on the privatization of public education. The incident occurred on October 9, at approximately 6:30 PM, immediately before former Secretary of State George Schultz was to deliver the keynote address to the conference titled, "School Choice and Corporate America."

"When it comes to defending the Earth from the corporate criminals, the pie's the limit!" said Al Decker, 27 year-old pie-thrower and concerned citizen. Decker approached Friedman while he was glad-handing a crowd of supporters, then he said "Mr. Friedman, it's a good day to pie!" and flopped the tasty coconut creme pie in his face.

"We hold Milton Friedman responsible for crimes against the people by organizing this appalling conference, calling for the privatization of public education. Mr. Friedman serves as the world's pre-eminent neoliberal economist--globalization and 'free trade' policies have brought the world poverty, misery, starvation, and we are at the brink of economic collapse. As a young American, what can I look forward to under neoliberal economics besides a depressing McWorld? ... The power of private capital to dictate public policy in this country grossly undermines the power of the people to determine their country's future."

Last summer Al Decker pied corporate raider Charles Hurwitz, the CEO of MAXXAM Corporation, who is responsible for liquidating the Headwaters Forest and defrauding American taxpayers of $1.6 billion during the 1980's Savings & Loan Scandal. Holding people responsible for their crimes through delicious mischief a time-honored tradition of the Biotic Baking Brigade, of which Mr. Decker is a co-founder.