Noam Chomsky

Thu Oct 29 10:07:50 PST 1998

On the U.S. post-1978 alliance with China to support the Khmer Rouge against the Vietnamese-sponsored puppet government, I agree with Mr. Lear. The U.S. support for the butchers of Tuol Sleng--undertaken for no reason other than to make the life of the Vietnamese government a little more unpleasant--was cruel, criminal, destructive, potentially genocidal, profoundly cynical, a violation of U.S. treaty obligations under the United Nations charter, and a mistake.

It turned my stomach then; it turns my stomach now.

Brad DeLong