Recipe: Universal Red Sauce for Reds

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at tsoft.com
Thu Oct 29 17:38:17 PST 1998

On 29-Oct-98 jf noonan wrote:
>On Wed, 28 Oct 1998, Greg Nowell wrote:
>>
>> "Several prisoners who ate this sauce escaped before
>> execution during the Cinco de Mayo events in Spain.
>> That is why you do not see them in the painting by
>> Goya." --AS, art historian, Princeton, New Jersey
>>

>Good recipe and and excellent testimonials! But one quibble (I am
>duty bound as a Texan to point this out), I rather doubt they
>celebrate Cinco de Mayo in Spain!
>
>Joseph Noonan
>jfn1 at msc.com

I think Greg Nowell was referring to Goya's painting, Dos de Mayo which depicted the Madrid revolt against Napoleon's 'liberation' army take over of Spain. The next is, Tres de Mayo, the eight and half by twelve foot canvas depicts the firing squads at night executing prisoners taken the previous day. But later, the second of May also became the traditional celebration day for the first republic.

But in any event, I would add a cup or so of red wine (not Gallo!), mushrooms, and sauage to the Universal Red Sauce. Also, what I like for meat is what's called Italian sauage out here--really just ground pork with pepper, garlic, fennel, sage, thyme, and oregano. I chop it into bite size pieces, fry it to cook off the fat (save for later additions to stocks), and then dump these in almost the same sauce.

For zuccini which just finished its season out here, try slicing it up and putting it in a suspended colander (steam) inside a pot with water olive oil and whole fresh garlics. The steam carries the oil and garlic flavor onto the zuccinis.

Chuckalino Grimatori