HMO Found Responsible for Suicide

Fellows, Jeffrey jmf9 at cdc.gov
Fri Oct 30 12:07:00 PST 1998

Thanks Marta for the post. Although I think the decision is a good one - I believe that HMOs should be held accountable - the issue of extending legal liability to organizations for the poor care they provide can have some serious unintended consequences. For instance, a result of this process could be a drive to have organizations "licensed" in the same way physicians and advanced practice nurses are. As part of my dissertation on the proletarianization of physicians I noted that the issue of licensing organizations and not providers has already been put out (I doubt anyone was listening besides me). I could certainly envision that HMOs would want seek to change practice licensing laws if they are to be held legally liable for malpractice. In such a scenario, the shift away from docs and to HMOs could radically weaken physicians' and other providers' medical decision-making power. Thankfully, I think the public would never go for it, but you never know. The social and political attacks on providers over the past 30 years, led largely by financial capital interests (insurers) has had a significant impact on public perception of physicians.

Jeff