Marcuse and the CIA

Michael Hoover hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Fri Oct 30 16:40:00 PST 1998

> There are additional, and more academically acceptable, pieces of evidence
> regarding Marcuse. Martin Jay's "Dialectical Imagination" says HM was
> working with AMerican itelligence until the Korean war (p80).
> .....best rich

to the best of my, admittedly limited, knowledge, there is nothing mysterious about any of this....by Marcuse's own account, he worked at the State Dept. until 1951...he indicates that his reasons for staying in Truman's administration for the time that he did had nothing to do with any loyalties that he had or a sense that US foreign policy could be moderated, rather his wife was ill with cancer and did not want to move...upon her death, HM quit (_Revolution or Reform?_, p. 6)

he was also unable to get a university position during this period in contrast to some of his colleagues...upon leaving the State Dept., HM did get a Rockefeller Grant that he used to do the research for his book on Soviet Marxism (hey, here's something else to use against him!). ..the Brandeis job came in 1955...

> >yeah, yeah, yeah, been there, don't that...an *anonoymously* published
> >article in PL is reliable?

re: above...I meant to write *done* that and to spell anonymously correctly, remainder of message wasn't so garbled...Michael Hoover