World financial reforms

cgrimes at tsoft.com cgrimes at tsoft.com
Sat Oct 31 20:21:08 PST 1998

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Messsage <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

On 11/1/98, 7:11:11 AM, Chris Burford <cburford at gn.apc.org> wrote regarding World financial reforms:

More technical question: does anyone know how to strip out line end markers easily when taking an article from a web site, so that it will wrap around on an e-mail list with software like Eudora?

Chris Burford

London

No. Not with Eudora. You have to manually strip the carrage return-linefeed character. You can also download into a wordprocessor and do a search/replace, keyed to "^M" or whatever they use as the cr-lf, usually coded with 'P' to symbolically indicate a paragraph character. Re-save the text as ASCII, cut/paste into Eudora. That was the only way I could do it.

There is also a very neat little word processor that does a lot of different file and format conversions (DOS, UNIX, HEX, Mac, Word, Wordperfect, etc), has full font support, spell check (EU languages) and so forth. I can't remember specifically, but it seems to me, UltraEdit did a toggle to turn off (strip) these characters--better check first. It costs 30.00US and was designed to be used for writing programs, so it has built-in indentations and other language specific formats. It is called "UltraEdit 32" and was written by guy in Australia. See:

http://www.ultraedit.com or http://www.idmcomp.com

Or, you could take a hint and switch to Unix where something like StarOffice does this automatically :).

Chuck Grimes