The Doctrine of Inevitability

James Devine jdevine at popmail.lmu.edu
Tue Sep 1 10:23:39 PDT 1998

At 12:44 PM 9/1/98 -0400, Doug wrote:
>... According to Yale legend, an entire village of Italian artisans was
imported to ... make the (often whimsical) stained glass.<

yes: the college (glorified dorm) where I lived had a stained-glass window showing John C. Calhoun standing over his slaves. For reasons that remain unclear, the strategic parts of the window were taken down during the 1960s and replaced by clear glass. So we could only see JC's upper torso and the slave's bare feet. (The college was named after JC, natch.) Maybe the window should have been left as is, so that Yale's class stance would be more obvious. (I guess it's not a big problem nowadays, but when I was there it was "middle-class" in orientation.)

Jim Devine jdevine at popmail.lmu.edu & http://clawww.lmu.edu/Departments/ECON/jdevine.html