Breakfast with the Congressmen

Tom Lehman uswa12 at lorainccc.edu
Tue Sep 1 11:46:50 PDT 1998

Dear Doug and the LBOers,

This being an election year and all, my congressman Sherrod Brown Democrat Ohio 13th had a little breakfast gathering this morning for the local organized labor die-hards. As a special treat for us Sherrod brought in Michigan Congressman David Bonior. Although we were expecting a sit down ham and eggs. We got the continental treatment instead. That was ok, because everyone got to chew the cud before and after the speeches with the congressmen and the one or two other minor political luminaries in attendance.

Congressman Bonior introduced himself around the room. When he got to me I couldn't help myself. I had to say it. "Hey, as seen on TV." The Congressman only turned slightly pink. Later on Sherrod's Washington office chief tried to get me to announce the speakers but, I begged off. I'm just not that much of a ham. So Sherrod did it himself.

Sherrod gave us one of his usual little pep-talks and then he introduced Congressman Bonior. Congressman Bonior gave a speech somewhat similar to his CSPAN routine. Bonior does come across warmer in person than on TV. There is a strong hint of integrity in Boniors persona that you don't pick up on TV.

The only thing that Bonior said that didn't sit well with me was a response to a question he fielded from a frumpy looking "cat" that I don't recognize as a union worthy. The "cat" put the the question of the Kuyoto(sp) pollution control agreements to Bonior in a negative sort of a way. Bonior's response was something to the effect that the Kuyoto agreements were not going anywhere. I think Mr. Dave Bonior could have done a lot better on that one. Tino Fulimeni, special assistant to USWA international president George Becker, was standing beside me and I asked Tino if he knew who the cat was who asked the question---Tino didn't recognize the "cat" either. I could tell the autoworkers were agitated by the question and the response too.

The thing that a lot of people and politicians don't get is that industrial workers want a clean environment at work. Industrial workers are also smart enough to know that any by-products i.e. pollution captured and reused is money in the bank and good for them, their industry and the nation.

Sincerely, Tom Lehman