the shape of things in canada...

Les Schaffer godzilla at netmeg.net
Tue Sep 1 13:38:14 PDT 1998

havent heard much talk here about how canada will fare in the slump/crash/glitch/bounce/whatever ...

a best-friend from high school who now lives in Montreal Canada just wrote this to me in response to a 'hows things up there' query:

>> It's financial meltdown up here. Our dollar is down to 63

>> cents US; interest rates have gone up by over 1% in the last

>> two weeks, and there's no end in sight. Imports from the US

>> are skyrocketing, and that includes fruits and vegetables to

>> get through the winter; they're talking increases in grocery

>> prices for imported stuff of over 20% this winter. You guys

>> will probably survive, but I fear we are in for hell up here.

>> I've been flashing on images of the 1920's depression.

whats all this about imports skyrocketing?

les -- ____ Les Schaffer godzilla at netmeg.net ___| --->> Engineering R&D <<--- Theoretical & Applied Mechanics | Designspring, Inc. Center for Radiophysics & Space Research | Westport, CT USA Cornell Univ. schaffer at tam.cornell.edu | les at designspring.com