Kautsky parle

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Thu Sep 3 08:33:10 PDT 1998

>Maybe things have changed over the last three decades, but the image that
always sticks in my mind is construction workers beating up antiwar protesters during the Vietnam War, affirming their solidarity with Nixon & Co.>

Shortly after this incident, I attended a meeting at my university's labor ed center with autoworkers. The issue came up and the fellows were puzzled. One said, "I'd like to beat up a few foremen." Another was evidently from Eastern Europe. He seemed pleased as all get-out to be in the union, and in an effort to be helpful told us, in so many words, "your problem as student activists is that you're all transients." Their main message to us was, go right on with what you're doing; just don't blow anything up.

MBS