Kautsky parle

Thu Sep 3 10:42:36 PDT 1998

Hi Greg, you may find interesting an essay by Paul Mattick, Sr "From Kautsky to Hitler" in his Anti-Bolshevik Communism (from the 1930s reprinted in Sharpe, 1977). Karl Korsch also wrote a book length critique of Kautsky's materialist theory of history. I have also not read Massimo Salvadori's bio (I believe) of Kautsky, but my old prof at Berkeley Paul Thomas (do you know him?author of Karl Marx and the Anarchists and Alien Politics) recommends the book highly. Understanding the trajectory of Kautsky, as well as Hilferding, seems quite important at this point. I'll need to study the question and don't have my books and notes in front of me right now. But if you have any comments on any of these or like criticisms I would love to hear your opinion. All the best, Rakesh