Kautsky parle

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Sep 3 10:52:03 PDT 1998

J Cullen wrote:

>Older construction workers nowadays probably are Vietnam veterans, many of
>whom believe the protesters were right and resent the way they were used. I
>agree with pms and W. Kiernan that if you put your economic criticism in
>terms that working people can understand they will agree with much, if not
>all of it. If they don't understand what you're talking about, you have to
>start asking yourself if that is your fault and not theirs.

In my experience of talking with working class audiences, you can give them a pretty Marxian class analysis of political economy, and as long as you don't use any of the Marxist buzzwords that people (at least the over-35s, as I've learned here) have been trained to recoil from, they're with you all the way.

Doug