Surowiecki on NLRB

jf noonan jfn1 at msc.com
Thu Sep 3 11:33:05 PDT 1998

Thanks James for posting that as I heard the NPR piece on the decision this AM. I was also struck by the lenght ot time that this thing is taking. It has taken 3 years to get an NLRB decision and now it will probably be in the courts longer than that. Back in the day, did these decisions take this long? And were employers allowed to tie them up in court forever?

Reletedly, I've been following the anti-union activities at WBAI in New York for a couple of years. They got a favorable decision from NLRB early this year. It hasn't changed a thing.

--

Joseph Noonan jfn1 at msc.com ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"[There] is looming up a new and dark power;

the enterprises of the country are aggregating

vast corporate combinations of unexampled capital,

boldly marching, not for economical conquests only,

but for political power. The question will arise

and arise in your day, though perhaps not fully in mine,

which shall rule - wealth or man; which shall lead -

money or intellect; who shall fill public stations -

educated and patriotic freemen, or the feudal serfs of

corporate capital...."

-- Edward G. Ryan, Chief Justice of the Wisconsin Supreme Court,

in an address to the 1873 graduating class

of the University of Wisconsin Law School