comments from paula

Greg Nowell GN842 at CNSVAX.Albany.Edu
Fri Sep 4 11:24:37 PDT 1998

Before I became a professional--I use the term advisedly, because when I was in retail I knew what I lacked (health care, paid vacations, holidays like the 4th of July and Labor Day)--I spent a number of years as a waiter, among other things. Probably my worst stint was on the night crew at Sears. I was the guy who put on the rubber gloves and pulled butts out of the urinal. And when I'm in the airport and I see "the suits" tossing butts or what-have-you into the urinals I always want to kick 'em. It was disgust with being a waiter which drove me to grad skool. So I've kicked around in the underclass. When I was a janitor I referred, among my friends, to the distinction between the "lifers" and those of us that were passing through. I was on foodstamps for a while and posted earlier on this list about the difference between being poor and having no money.

My best friend of 30 years is owns a bar in Oakland and before becoming petty bourgeois tended bar for others. He's brilliant and well read. My stepfather never went to college and is also better read than most, certainly better read than the passles of college grads that prefer beer to their reading lists.

So, to list participants who are smart and struggling in crappy jobs, I am sorry if I gave cause to offend. But, but, but. You kick around in some of the diners around the Albany area and you quickly realize that there is a huge number of people out there without the slightest idea of Zapatistas, Green Movements, or what have you. In my experience the alienated intellectual/thinking types in retail tend to migrate to the cities like Boston where the general atmosphere keeps them more amused. Even if you're not in college, you pick a lot of stuff up.

One most assuredly doesn't need a college education to be smart, or educated. Alexander Pope decried the "intellectual lumber" in the brains of well-educated dummies. Not to mention the outright falsehoods that are taught (e.g., political "science") as revealed truth. In the world there are smart people with no discipline (which leads to a kind of hedonism) and disciplined people with no smarts (who are tedious, but it's hard to figure out a reason to get rid of them, since they jump the required hoops). And it is entirely possible to be smart and disciplined and grinding away as a waiter/waitress to earn income. But I'll tell you, you don't find many of those around here.

- Gregory P. Nowell Associate Professor Department of Political Science, Milne 100 State University of New York 135 Western Ave. Albany, New York 12222

Fax 518-442-5298