Aid to Russia

William S. Lear rael at dejanews.com
Fri Sep 4 20:01:53 PDT 1998

On Fri, September 4, 1998 at 10:48:32 (-0700) Brad De Long writes:
>It is in the U.S. national interest and economic interest to have rich,
>industrialized, productive trading partners--not poor, unproductive ones.

Brad forgets rules of capitalization here: the National Interest is to have (at least a few) poor ones, so we can threaten labor here with replacement abroad.

I'm still mulling over his export/import figures during the Marshal Plan years: anyone else notice something fishy in these as rebuttal to the claim that the flow of aid almost matched that flowing into NY banks? My books are still in boxes, so I can't look it up in the source quoted by Chomsky at the moment...

Bill