And now for Gore?

Patrick Bond pbond at wn.apc.org
Sat Sep 5 02:57:56 PDT 1998

Chris, aside from what I read as a thoroughly myopic sense of what Gore's about -- see the Nation magazine's July critique for example -- I don't know how you'd justify this statement below given your strong sentiments on behalf of int'l regulation of K.

> From: Chris Burford <cburford at gn.apc.org>
> Subject: And now for Gore?
> I have been impressed but also a little surprised at the forebearance of US
> contributors to discuss Clinton. Why gossip about what was obvious? I
> presume was the feeling. Plus a sense that while you would not want to
> campaign for him, he was better than his predecessors...

No, it was always much easier to fight the global neo-liberal onslaught when led by Reagan/Thatcher and Bush; as Clinton turned to promoting Nafta, Gatt, IMF/WB recap and all the rest, any residual integrity in the Democratic Party evaporated and the tiny liberal-left contingent had to turn to the Far Right for anti-neo-lib alliances. Clinton, the Wall Street Journal said before his reelection, is the best president corporate America ever had. Precisely because as a Democrat he eviscerated the left flank. This goes for any number of issues, not just global political economy...

P.