Labor Day

Tom Lehman uswa12 at lorainccc.edu
Mon Sep 7 08:50:15 PDT 1998

Dear Doug and the LBOers,

Yesterday, we had our 4th Annual Lorain County Organized Labor, Labor Day Festival. Approximately 25,000 people attended this all day event which is held in a park on the shores of Lake Erie in Lorain,Ohio.

The Labor Day festival is geared towards families and children. The kiddies get a positive impression of labor unions that we hope they will carry into adulthood. Parents get softly educated on the union's positions and prospects. Soft drinks and hot dogs are 25 cents each. The entertainment is also geared to the children; it's interesting enough to keep the adults amused.

Some years ago I did a little research on Labor Day for a union newspaper article and found something that should inspire us today. To make a long story short Labor Day resulted from a one man crusade by a New York City carpenter who just wouldn't give up on the idea of a Labor Day.

Getting back to our little local Labor Day festival, my 7 year old daughter was really impressed to find out that Arthur the Aardvark was in attendance yesterday and is a union arrdvark. This is what it takes.

Sincerely, Tom Lehman