Kautsky parle

Christopher Niles cniles at ricochet.net
Mon Sep 7 16:32:37 PDT 1998

Yo, Paul, Did you actuallly READ what I wrote?? Engage me, don't caricurature me!

1) I did not write "against ideological struggle in cyberspace in favor of getting (my) head beat in as a morally superior path." There is absolutely nothing in what I wrote to support such a criticism. Furthurmore, it's a patently absurd one given my participation on this (and other) political chat lines. Where the hell did you get the idea that I "celebrate" the spilling of blood?

2) Actually, that quote from Baldwin had nothing to do with supporting what I wrote. Indeed, I don't see how you conclude that the quote had much to do with my (much qualified) thoughts on the nature of political struggle. It's just one of a battery of quotes that I randomly toss out into cyberspace in (occasionaly sucessful) attempts to create some interesting waves (and you say I don't appreciate the power of cyberspace!!).

3) But while we're at it, there is nothing inconsistent about what I wrote and what Baldwin said in that 1960 essay--not to mention many of his other writings. You imply that I am not interested in helping to create the necessary moral climate to facilitate change. Show me the evidence, homey.

4) When did I ever say or imply anything about ignoring cyberspace because of lack of "minority" participation or for any other reason? By the way, how can you use that term so breezily after reading that Baldwin essay? Also, I should tell you that as a Black person (politically and culturally, happily, but racially only by virtue of science fiction masquerading as social fact), I do not appreciate being reffered to as a "minority." Just letting you know, though, of course, you are free to ignore my sensitivies.

In sum: I don't know who you were responding to but it wasn't me.