Mark:Talk of Insurrection?

Mark Jones Jones_M at netcomuk.co.uk
Tue Sep 8 01:06:54 PDT 1998

M. Saltz wrote:

> Is it true Mark that the KPRF has come out in support of insurrection or
> is there something I'm missing?

Zyuganov has recently made several statements about the possibility and perhaps inevitability of civil war and about the need for people to act. I posted some on L-I and they look very inflammatory to a western eye, altho this is just the small change of Russian discourse by now, I suppose. This is one of the ways in which the traditional dissociation of sensibility between Western and Russian 'common sense' world views has become a chasm of misunderstanding. I would argue that western elites and media mind-moulders have already gone a little catatonic under the pressure of events, and are no longer able to register properly (or report to the rest of us) the kinds of language, activity and mass anger which by now hundreds of millions of people in Russia, Asia and elsewhere routinely use/display. It ought to worry us; we've raised the drawbridge and only hear muffled cries from the besieging hordes outside; but we seemingly prefer to discuss such matters as the probable rate of US long bonds.

Mark

PS I say 'catatonic' but I don't recall a time when the bourgeois media was so interetsing or so serious either. Well, I do recall a time: the early 1960s was an earlier episode when ideo-hegemonic logjams and the cultural verities of the McCarthy era began to break up. One thign that interests me is the head-in-sand consensus among western intellectual and professional elites that nothing is wrong -- maybe the ship's stabilisers need fine tuning is all -- and how much resentment there is if one presumes to question the embedded complacency of ESPECIALLY the so-called 'Left' and libertarians who evidently have discovered they have an awful lot to lose lifestyle-wise. This has taken the sheen off much of their radical-chic posing and turned it into the stark and ugly angst of the self-interested middle-class hypocrite (if, fellow-LBOers, you suspect I mean you, I often do).