the meaning of money

Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu
Tue Sep 8 07:48:22 PDT 1998

Well, that is textbook stuff, Doug. But this is a different ballgame. Money has been fleeing to the US out of the "safety" motive, not unjustified fear that the world economy is tanking and the US is the safe haven. With Greenspan's noises, traders are less scared about the world economy. So, it is greater confidence that the rest of the world is not so bad off.

Evidence for this is that is not just the currencies but the foreign stock markets that went up, and sharply. Of course, it is quite likely that this will all unravel again fairly shortly. Barkley Rosser On Tue, 8 Sep 1998 10:00:24 -0400 Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

-- Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu