And now for Gore?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Sep 8 08:02:49 PDT 1998

Brad De Long wrote:

>So now the left tries to keep the developing economies of the world as poor
>as possible--lest they pollute?

Speaking for this leftist, I think it'd be far better if the human and physical resources of the so-called Third World were devoted first to feeding, clothing, housing, and educating Third Worlders, rather than competing to serve foreign markets. I'm not arguing for autarky by any means, but export orientation is a colonial economic strategy. It turns my stomach to read the propaganda from the World Bank saying that comparative advantage of the poor is their labor.

Doug