methane hydrates

Greg Nowell GN842 at CNSVAX.Albany.Edu
Tue Sep 8 16:22:20 PDT 1998

Mark Jones' posted article on methane hydrates is consistent with what I have read from Science News and other internet sources. The main question is whether the problems identified are superable or insuperable for capitalism. In a 50-100 time period I'm inclined to view them as superable, Jones, I think, would view them as insuperable. Some methane hydrates are "onshore" in permafrost deposits and one of them apparently was developed for a while, but the Russians didn't "figure out" that it was methane hydrate until after the fact. However the bulk of methane hydrates are under the oceans. Reserves of methane hydrates contain more carbon than ALL living things, oil and coal reserves, combined. So a big part of the world's hydrocarbon future (if it even needs one) will depend on how this plays out in the long term (if one sees 50-100 years as long term).

I don't follow global warming religiously, but I do think that teh most "powerful" warming disaster scenario that I've read to date involves ocean temperature increases followed by methane hydrate deposit evaporation.

Another disaster scenario is that 75 year-from-now technology is required to exploit hydrates but someone tries to do it with 35 year-from-now-technology and does a giant gas boo-boo, perhaps causing spontaneous release of more methane than has been used by the US in the last century.

-- Gregory P. Nowell Associate Professor Department of Political Science, Milne 100 State University of New York 135 Western Ave. Albany, New York 12222

Fax 518-442-5298