And now for Gore?

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Wed Sep 9 06:15:34 PDT 1998

I would welcome any Marxist comments, as Chris Burford suggests below, on the "green" rebuttal I offered to Brad De Long's point. To expand on what I said before, the prerequisites for responsible global economic development that I advocate would be: (1) economic models and accounting conventions that assess the full consequences of currently ignored "negative externalities" (Third World environmental degradation, etc.), and (2) "sustainable" economic development -- i.e., LDC development that favors localized, small-scale enterprise and is not driven by the creation of export-oriented, capital-intensive, high-pollution industries.

Carl Remick

-----Original Message----- From: Chris Burford [mailto:cburford at gn.apc.org] Sent: Tuesday, September 08, 1998 6:59 PM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: RE: And now for Gore?

At 10:41 AM 9/8/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Re Brad De Long's: "So now the left tries to keep the developing
>economies of the world as poor
>as possible--lest they pollute?"
>
>So, now the left says let's: (a) develop a language of economics that
>takes a more accurate accounting, in all nations, of social costs that
>are now merely "negative externalities," and (b) pursue economic
>development along sustainable lines, as recommended, e.g., by E. F.
>Schumacher.
>
>Carl Remick

As I broadly understand it, this is progressive green-type cost-based economics.

What I think is needed to evaluate it and have some theoretical underpinning, is to relate it to the system of exchange value and Value that lies behind it.

Economic costing that takes into account renewing raw materials and the environment, could be related to the socially necessary labour time for doing so, i.e. remaining from a Marxist point of view linked to human social labour power. I would be interested to know whether a marxist perspective on this would produce rather different models than an arbitary green idealist perspective....