De-Legalizing The Democratic Party

Paul Henry Rosenberg rad at gte.net
Wed Sep 9 07:31:35 PDT 1998

Max Sawicky wrote:

> >That's an exiguous universe. If the world is
> >at a point where every liberal gets the Clinton
> >treatment and every rightwinger's peccadilloes are
> >ignored, then we are at a point where liberal reform is
> >impossible. Which might in fact be the case.
>
> It has occurred to me, in the same vein, that
> Republican control over extensive areas of the
> State is enabling them to delegalize the Democratic
> Party, for all practical purposes. If this is what
> comes to pass, then I would start agreeing with
> Louis much more often.

Actually this has been the Republican strategy for a long time now. (Can you say "Tricky Dick"? Sure you can!).

But since it's first targets in the current cycle were black activists (see Lani Guinier's *Lift Every Voice* re local struggles in the South) and politicians (they even tried to get striaght-arrow ex-Marine Sgt. Dellums on drug accusations back in '82), the Democratic Party was once again asleep at the switch.

-- Paul Rosenberg Reason and Democracy rad at gte.net

"Let's put the information BACK into the information age!"